Check out the 2020 Operating and Capital Budget Highlights and the Assessment and Taxation Highlights 2020 Operating and Capital Budget Highlights
News and Updates
In this section find current and archived news releases for the Town of Coalhurst and other local news of interest to residents.
The Town is excited to unveil our new logo and slogan! Since June 1st, 2020 is Coalhurst’s 25th anniversary of becoming incorporated as a Town, we thought this was a perfect time to make the announcement. More information about the inspiration and background is shown below. We hope that this will become a source of pride and identity for all Coalhurst residents now and into the future.
Acknowledging and appreciating our Seniors! declaration
April 10, 2020 – Regional Economic Supports UPDATE April 10, 2020 Businesses – please take a few minutes to do the survey contained in this update.
April 8, 2020 – As you know, SouthGrow is part of a regional economic recovery taskforce with our partners at Economic Development Lethbridge. This initiative will be rolling out more and more support and recovery programs as time goes on. However, I wanted to make sure you have available what we have produced so far so that you can leverage our work to support your own people today.
Here’s a few things to help you today to answer questions from your businesses and people and to plug into your own websites.
1. There is a support hotline live and ready to accept calls from your people who need help finding supports or any other questions that they need to ask. 1-587-800-3356 People can also email [email protected] for support.
2. SouthGrow has published a quick reference page to help you find access supports for your people in as simple a fashion as possible.
You can link to it here: https://www.southgrow.com/recovery
3. The Taskforce has a growing library of information at https://business.chooselethbridge.ca/recovery. Eventually this website will have new features and tools available. Stay tuned.
4. There is now a Facebook Forum up and online where people can post questions and share information related to the crisis.
As you all know, the situation is evolving daily. I will do my best to keep you updated of changes as they occur. Please use these resources and feel free to suggest improvements or additions based on the feedback you get.
As always, call. Feedback is welcomed as we build this plane in the air.
SouthGrow Regional Initiative
This initiative is geared towards establishing a system to assist residents of Coalhurst who may have challenges accessing essential items.
THE COALHURST COMMUNITY CENTRE WILL BE CLOSED AND NO BOOKINGS TAKEN UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
Update on Coalhurst Programming
• Walking and Coffee Group will be put on hold until further notice.
• The Coalhurst Youth Center will be closed for all programming dates until further notice
• All FCSS programs in the Coalhurst Community Center and the Coalhurst Parent Link Center in the Elementary School will be closed until further notice
o Stay and Play
o Move-it! Move-it!
o Open Play
• The Babysitter course on April 18th will be postponed until further notice
o Contact the County of Lethbridge Community Learning Council at 403-345-6009
• The Coalhurst 55+ Club will be closed until further notice
o Exercise class
o Weekly Drop-ins and meetings
• Coalhurst Community Sharing Day and Volunteer Appreciation Event – Postponed until further notice
• Coalhurst Sparks, Brownies, Guides – cancelled until further notice
• Shotokan Karate Club – cancelled until further notice
As a reminder to residents, there are many ways to make payments or request information without coming to the Town Office in person.
– The Town of Coalhurst App can be downloaded to have easy access to Town information, set up E-bills for Utilities, to enroll for Automatic Tax or Utility payments, or to make Town bookings. Many of these things can be found in the “Applications, Forms, and Permits” section.
– Tax or Utility payments can also be made through online banking. All you’ll need is your Utility Account number or Tax Roll number which can be found on the top right side of your bill. If you’re unsure about how to set up Online Banking, please contact your bank for assistance.
– Cheques can be dropped off in a sealed envelope in the slot near the office front doors. Make sure to indicate the invoice or account that you’re paying.
– You can also call the Town Office (403-381-3033) for additional assistance or for any other questions about the Town you may have.
The outdoor rink at Miners Memorial Park has been flooded and frozen and is now ready to be used!
Thank you to the Coalhurst Volunteer Fire department for prepping and flooding the rink multiple times to get the ice ready to go.
Thank you to the Town of Coalhurst Public Works Department for assisting in clearing the snow off the rink.
• There is no supervision at the skating rink
• The lights are on until 10:30pm daily
• Helmets are HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
• The hockey nets are for everyone’s use- please be courteous
• The Town of Coalhurst will not be held responsible for any injury, loss or stolen items at the outdoor rink
• Residents are encouraged to bring a shovel to clear any snow
• Have fun and be safe
On behalf of the Miner’s Days Historical Association of Coalhurst, The Town of Coalhurst would like to put out an appeal to the residents of Coalhurst to join the Miner’s Days volunteer board. The current Committee has members that have been on the Committee since 2015 and need some fresh faces and new ideas! The Miner’s Days Historical Association of Coalhurst, commonly known as the Miner’s Days Committee, is asking the residents of Coalhurst to get involved in the Town’s annual celebration and join in this wonderful yearly event that brings many folks together – to honor and celebrate our rich history.
The Miner’s Days Historical Association of Coalhurst is hosting their AGM on February 10th at 6:30pm, in the Community Center (527 50th ave). Election of incoming board members will happen at this meeting. If you have been thinking about getting involved – now is the time! Miner’s Days is at risk of not being able to continue without an increase in board membership. We need more residents to get involved in the planning and in the trajectory of the weekend events.
Please Coalhurst, if you are interested – email [email protected] or reach out on Facebook!
Check link for details: Christmas House Contest 2019 Poster
The Town Office will be closed from December 23 at 12:00 NOON and reopen
January 2 at 9:00 a.m.
Garbage pick up schedule for the holidays are:
Wednesday, December 25 moved to Thursday, December 16
Wednesday January 1 moved to Thursday, January 2
Have a safe and happy Holiday!!
Check out the winners of this year’s Halloween House Decorating Contest:
2019 Halloween House Contest Winners
Amazing job done by all who took the time and effort to spook up the Town.
The Town of Coalhurst would like to announce the release of it’s new App!
The Town has worked with a local Mobile App provider, SMBapps, to create a customized Mobile App for residents and businesses. The new Town of Coalhurst Mobile App enables app users to direct call departments, submit applications and forms (such as permits or sign submissions), and receive push notifications and emergency alerts directly from The Town of Coalhurst Administration.
With The Town of Coalhurst Mobile App, users can also stay up-to-date with announcements and events, as well as access Agenda Meeting Minutes and more. The Push Notification System enables app users to receive real-time updates from the Town regarding alerts, closures, planned maintenance, events and more. The Mobile App is built on a scalable platform that will enable future updates and additional features to be added as they become available. The purpose of the App is to simplify and increase efficiency of communications between The Town of Coalhurst and the people who live or work within its jurisdiction, while reducing administrative costs and increasing time savings.
The Town of Coalhurst Mobile App is free to download on both Apple and Android devices and is available for direct download in the iTunes App Store and the Google Play Store.
Further information about The Town of Coalhurst Mobile App:
The Town of Coalhurst Mobile App in iTunes App Store
The Town of Coalhurst Mobile App in Google Play Store
About SMBApps, a division of Jedwin Media Inc.
SMBApps, a division of Jedwin Media Inc., is a local Mobile App Provider that specializes in creating mobile apps for Towns, Counties and Municipalities. SMBApps has created and launched Mobile Apps for other local communities including the Town of Magrath, the County of Ponoka, Lethbridge County and Brazeau County. Further information can be found online at smbapps.ca.
KAIROS Blanket Exercise Initiative: Enhancing Relations between Municipal Governments and Indigenous Communities
You are invited to participate in the KAIROS Blanket Exercise taking place in Coalhurst, on September 10th, at the Community Center (527 50th Avenue). The Exercise begins at 6:30pm and will run for approximately two and a half hours. There is NO registration cost to attend; However, an RSVP is required to confirm your participation. Refreshments and a light snack will be provided.
What is a KAIROS Blanket Exercise?
The KAIROS Blanket Exercise is an interactive session where participants step onto blankets representing the land, and into the role of First Nations, Inuit and Metis peoples. The facilitators read a script and assume the role of European settlers, and later as representatives of the Crown. The Exercise builds awareness and understanding of our shared history as Indigenous and Non-Indigenous peoples in Canada by having participants literally walk through situations that include pre-contact, treaty-making, colonization and resistance. Participants are drawn into the Exercise by reading scrolls and carrying cards, which ultimately determine each participants outcome. Following the Blanket Exercise, participants will engage in a group session, where they will have the opportunity to reflect on what they learned and ask questions.
What should participants bring?
The KAIROS Blanket Exercise requires participants to remove their shoes before stepping onto the blankets. As such, participants that may be uncomfortable in bare feet should consider wearing socks or other foot covering.
If you wish to attend the KAIROS Blanket Exercise, to be held on September 10, 2019 at 6:30pm, in the Coalhurst Community Center (527 50th avenue), please RSVP by September 9th, to Deb Florence, Recreation Coordinator for the Town of Coalhurst, by emailing [email protected] or calling 403-394-5150.
See the video below for an overview of the exercise.
Due to unforeseen circumstances, the Around-Town Photo Scavenger Hunt that was scheduled for August 14th has been cancelled. Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.