Thanks to everyone who participated in this year’s House Decorating Contest and congratulations to the winners! It was extra difficult to judge this year with so many great houses!
News and Updates
In this section find current and archived news releases for the Town of Coalhurst and other local news of interest to residents.
The Development Officer will be away from the office from August 31, 2020 to September 11, 2020. Check link for details: Development Officer Out of Office
Are you concerned about your community’s safety and security? Learn more about Alberta Citizens of Patrol: citizens on patrol
The following is the Executive Summary for the Town of Coalhurst Code of Conduct Complaints Review: Town of Coalhurst Code of Conduct 2020 – Executive Summary
For details on the online conversations with Family & Community Support Services (FCSS) staff check out: FCSS Live
July 10, 2020 COALHURST SPRAY PARK
The Coalhurst Parks and Recreation Society and the Town of Coalhurst are excited to let you know the spray park is becoming a reality! As an added bonus, we are also pleased to announce that Town Council funded the construction of a shelter space to be completed at the same time. The shelter will include three outdoor showers, three washrooms, two change rooms and a covered picnic area complete with power.
You will notice fencing for the site has already gone up and construction began this morning with an expected completion in early August. Unfortunately, due to COVID-19, we are uncertain of when we will be able to hold a grand opening celebration to open the park to the public but will keep you up to date.
We look forward to many years of our community getting to enjoy the park and would like to thank
the entire community, Town of Coalhurst staff, and Council for supporting this project.
Check out the pictures: spray park pic
This year, the Government of Canada is celebrating Canada Day in a whole new way to bring us together virtually and share our pride in being Canadian. Check it out:
Government of Canada celebrating Canada Day
Check out the 2020 Operating and Capital Budget Highlights and the Assessment and Taxation Highlights 2020 Operating and Capital Budget Highlights
The Town is excited to unveil our new logo and slogan! Since June 1st, 2020 is Coalhurst’s 25th anniversary of becoming incorporated as a Town, we thought this was a perfect time to make the announcement. More information about the inspiration and background is shown below. We hope that this will become a source of pride and identity for all Coalhurst residents now and into the future.
Acknowledging and appreciating our Seniors! declaration
April 10, 2020 – Regional Economic Supports UPDATE April 10, 2020 Businesses – please take a few minutes to do the survey contained in this update.
April 8, 2020 – As you know, SouthGrow is part of a regional economic recovery taskforce with our partners at Economic Development Lethbridge. This initiative will be rolling out more and more support and recovery programs as time goes on. However, I wanted to make sure you have available what we have produced so far so that you can leverage our work to support your own people today.
Here’s a few things to help you today to answer questions from your businesses and people and to plug into your own websites.
1. There is a support hotline live and ready to accept calls from your people who need help finding supports or any other questions that they need to ask. 1-587-800-3356 People can also email [email protected] for support.
2. SouthGrow has published a quick reference page to help you find access supports for your people in as simple a fashion as possible.
You can link to it here: https://www.southgrow.com/recovery
3. The Taskforce has a growing library of information at https://business.chooselethbridge.ca/recovery. Eventually this website will have new features and tools available. Stay tuned.
4. There is now a Facebook Forum up and online where people can post questions and share information related to the crisis.
As you all know, the situation is evolving daily. I will do my best to keep you updated of changes as they occur. Please use these resources and feel free to suggest improvements or additions based on the feedback you get.
As always, call. Feedback is welcomed as we build this plane in the air.
SouthGrow Regional Initiative
This initiative is geared towards establishing a system to assist residents of Coalhurst who may have challenges accessing essential items.
THE COALHURST COMMUNITY CENTRE WILL BE CLOSED AND NO BOOKINGS TAKEN UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
Update on Coalhurst Programming
• Walking and Coffee Group will be put on hold until further notice.
• The Coalhurst Youth Center will be closed for all programming dates until further notice
• All FCSS programs in the Coalhurst Community Center and the Coalhurst Parent Link Center in the Elementary School will be closed until further notice
o Stay and Play
o Move-it! Move-it!
o Open Play
• The Babysitter course on April 18th will be postponed until further notice
o Contact the County of Lethbridge Community Learning Council at 403-345-6009
• The Coalhurst 55+ Club will be closed until further notice
o Exercise class
o Weekly Drop-ins and meetings
• Coalhurst Community Sharing Day and Volunteer Appreciation Event – Postponed until further notice
• Coalhurst Sparks, Brownies, Guides – cancelled until further notice
• Shotokan Karate Club – cancelled until further notice
As a reminder to residents, there are many ways to make payments or request information without coming to the Town Office in person.
– The Town of Coalhurst App can be downloaded to have easy access to Town information, set up E-bills for Utilities, to enroll for Automatic Tax or Utility payments, or to make Town bookings. Many of these things can be found in the “Applications, Forms, and Permits” section.
– Tax or Utility payments can also be made through online banking. All you’ll need is your Utility Account number or Tax Roll number which can be found on the top right side of your bill. If you’re unsure about how to set up Online Banking, please contact your bank for assistance.
– Cheques can be dropped off in a sealed envelope in the slot near the office front doors. Make sure to indicate the invoice or account that you’re paying.
– You can also call the Town Office (403-381-3033) for additional assistance or for any other questions about the Town you may have.
The outdoor rink at Miners Memorial Park has been flooded and frozen and is now ready to be used!
Thank you to the Coalhurst Volunteer Fire department for prepping and flooding the rink multiple times to get the ice ready to go.
Thank you to the Town of Coalhurst Public Works Department for assisting in clearing the snow off the rink.
• There is no supervision at the skating rink
• The lights are on until 10:30pm daily
• Helmets are HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
• The hockey nets are for everyone’s use- please be courteous
• The Town of Coalhurst will not be held responsible for any injury, loss or stolen items at the outdoor rink
• Residents are encouraged to bring a shovel to clear any snow
• Have fun and be safe
On behalf of the Miner’s Days Historical Association of Coalhurst, The Town of Coalhurst would like to put out an appeal to the residents of Coalhurst to join the Miner’s Days volunteer board. The current Committee has members that have been on the Committee since 2015 and need some fresh faces and new ideas! The Miner’s Days Historical Association of Coalhurst, commonly known as the Miner’s Days Committee, is asking the residents of Coalhurst to get involved in the Town’s annual celebration and join in this wonderful yearly event that brings many folks together – to honor and celebrate our rich history.
The Miner’s Days Historical Association of Coalhurst is hosting their AGM on February 10th at 6:30pm, in the Community Center (527 50th ave). Election of incoming board members will happen at this meeting. If you have been thinking about getting involved – now is the time! Miner’s Days is at risk of not being able to continue without an increase in board membership. We need more residents to get involved in the planning and in the trajectory of the weekend events.
Please Coalhurst, if you are interested – email [email protected] or reach out on Facebook!