This initiative is geared towards establishing a system to assist residents of Coalhurst who may have challenges accessing essential items.
In the event of the Covid-19 pandemic, more and more people are flushing items other than toilet paper. Even though some items say that they are biodegradable and able to be flushed, they are not. These items do not fully break down and can cause major problems in the sewer system. Please dispose of these items in your regular garbage.
Items include, but are not limited to:
– wipes (disinfectant, baby and any other type of wipes)
– paper towel
Communities, including Coalhurst, have experienced sewer infrastructure problems including blocked sewer mains and sewer lift station pumps being plugged. This is very problematic and can lead to sewer back-ups to residences.
Please do not flush anything down toilets except for toilet paper.
Director of Operations
Town of Coalhurst
e-mail: [email protected]
Good Afternoon Residents of Coalhurst:
RE: TOWN OF COALHURST COVID-19 RESPONSE
The COVID-19 pandemic has created concerns for the world, including our community. The Town of Coalhurst will abide by directives provided by Alberta Health, the Provincial and Federal Governments. As well, we will be working in consort with neighbouring communities to ensure consistency in our approach. Mayor, Council and Town Administration, including public works and emergency services, are committed to maintaining the health and well-being of our residents. Although this is unlike anything we have ever experienced, working together as a community will allow us to overcome this difficult time. I further believe that we need to support one another, helping neighbours in need and to seek support for ourselves when necessary. The Town is looking at creating a registry of residents in need of assistance, whether that be seniors, disabled, health conditions, or otherwise, in addition to volunteers available to assist in this regard. Please watch for more information on this initiative. The Mayor and Council will continue to meet on a regular basis to ensure the safe operation of the Town.
As of recent, the Town of Coalhurst’s Emergency Advisory Committee met (March 16, 2020) as well as Town Council to discuss our response to COVID-19. The following short-term measures are in effect as of March 17, 2020:
• All Town facilities and events will be closed and cancelled until further notice.
• The Town Office will remain open, however, we are encouraging residents to avoid in-person visits and use telephone, email, website, and the Town app to conduct business. The office drop box can also be used for payments.
• Council will continue to meet via electronic means to monitor and provide regular updates.
• The Emergency Management Committee, Public Works, CAO, and the Mayor will be meeting on a regular basis and working closely to ensure timely responses are in place.
• We will continually update Coalhurst residents on changes via social media and website.
• Staffing and service levels will be adjusted keeping core services operating such as fire, water, sewer, garbage, etc.
As you have all heard in the news reports, these are measures individuals and families should be taking:
• Please be considerate and understanding of others, especially those who are high risk.
• Discourage hoarding supplies and making unnecessary visits to others or businesses.
• Please stay informed via www.alberta.ca/covid19. This gives up-to-date and correct prevention tips, and other helpful information.
• If you are ill (even if these are not symptoms of COVID-19) please stay home.
• Practice social distancing. Avoid touching face. Use sneeze and cough etiquette.
• If you think you have symptoms, please use Alberta Health Self-Assessment at https://myhealth.alberta.ca/Journey/COVID-19/Pages/Assessment.aspx
• Call Health Link at 811 to discuss your symptoms and to receive directions on next steps.
I thank all the residents for their understanding as we make these temporary adjustments. Hoping everyone stays safe and healthy.
Mayor Dennis Cassie
THE COALHURST COMMUNITY CENTRE WILL BE CLOSED AND NO BOOKINGS TAKEN UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
Update on Coalhurst Programming
• Walking and Coffee Group will be put on hold until further notice.
• The Coalhurst Youth Center will be closed for all programming dates until further notice
• All FCSS programs in the Coalhurst Community Center and the Coalhurst Parent Link Center in the Elementary School will be closed until further notice
o Stay and Play
o Move-it! Move-it!
o Open Play
• The Babysitter course on April 18th will be postponed until further notice
o Contact the County of Lethbridge Community Learning Council at 403-345-6009
• The Coalhurst 55+ Club will be closed until further notice
o Exercise class
o Weekly Drop-ins and meetings
• Coalhurst Community Sharing Day and Volunteer Appreciation Event – Postponed until further notice
• Coalhurst Sparks, Brownies, Guides – cancelled until further notice
• Shotokan Karate Club – cancelled until further notice
As a reminder to residents, there are many ways to make payments or request information without coming to the Town Office in person.
– The Town of Coalhurst App can be downloaded to have easy access to Town information, set up E-bills for Utilities, to enroll for Automatic Tax or Utility payments, or to make Town bookings. Many of these things can be found in the “Applications, Forms, and Permits” section.
– Tax or Utility payments can also be made through online banking. All you’ll need is your Utility Account number or Tax Roll number which can be found on the top right side of your bill. If you’re unsure about how to set up Online Banking, please contact your bank for assistance.
– Cheques can be dropped off in a sealed envelope in the slot near the office front doors. Make sure to indicate the invoice or account that you’re paying.
– You can also call the Town Office (403-381-3033) for additional assistance or for any other questions about the Town you may have.
This link from Alberta Health and will keep you updated on COVID19 information. Information updated regularly.
The Council of the Town of Coalhurst gives notice of its intention to consider Bylaw No. 412-20 being a Bylaw to Decrease the Number of Councillors. Check link for details: Public Participation Notice Bylaw 412-20 decrease to number of Councillors March 3, 2020
This will take place on Tuesday, March 3, 2020 at 7:00 p.m. in the Council Chambers at the Town Office.
The outdoor rink at Miners Memorial Park has been flooded and frozen and is now ready to be used!
Thank you to the Coalhurst Volunteer Fire department for prepping and flooding the rink multiple times to get the ice ready to go.
Thank you to the Town of Coalhurst Public Works Department for assisting in clearing the snow off the rink.
• There is no supervision at the skating rink
• The lights are on until 10:30pm daily
• Helmets are HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
• The hockey nets are for everyone’s use- please be courteous
• The Town of Coalhurst will not be held responsible for any injury, loss or stolen items at the outdoor rink
• Residents are encouraged to bring a shovel to clear any snow
• Have fun and be safe
On behalf of the Miner’s Days Historical Association of Coalhurst, The Town of Coalhurst would like to put out an appeal to the residents of Coalhurst to join the Miner’s Days volunteer board. The current Committee has members that have been on the Committee since 2015 and need some fresh faces and new ideas! The Miner’s Days Historical Association of Coalhurst, commonly known as the Miner’s Days Committee, is asking the residents of Coalhurst to get involved in the Town’s annual celebration and join in this wonderful yearly event that brings many folks together – to honor and celebrate our rich history.
The Miner’s Days Historical Association of Coalhurst is hosting their AGM on February 10th at 6:30pm, in the Community Center (527 50th ave). Election of incoming board members will happen at this meeting. If you have been thinking about getting involved – now is the time! Miner’s Days is at risk of not being able to continue without an increase in board membership. We need more residents to get involved in the planning and in the trajectory of the weekend events.
Please Coalhurst, if you are interested – email [email protected] or reach out on Facebook!
Starting February 1, 2020, you will notice some changes on your Town Utility bill. Please check link for details: Utility rates for 2020
Garbage pick-up schedule for the holidays:
Wednesday, December 25th moved to Thursday, December 26th.
Wednesday, January 1st moved to Thursday, January 2nd.
All other days will be picked up on normally scheduled days.
Merry Christmas and
Happy New Year
Public Works Department
Check link for details: Christmas House Contest 2019 Poster
The Town Office will be closed from December 23 at 12:00 NOON and reopen
January 2 at 9:00 a.m.
Garbage pick up schedule for the holidays are:
Wednesday, December 25 moved to Thursday, December 16
Wednesday January 1 moved to Thursday, January 2
Have a safe and happy Holiday!!
Starting on Friday November 15 at 8:00 am, the intersection at Highway 25 and Township Road 92 will be closed for paving and line painting. Please avoid the area and use alternate routes. Work is expected to be completed by 5:00 pm on Monday November 18.
Thank you for your cooperation.
Check out the winners of this year’s Halloween House Decorating Contest:
2019 Halloween House Contest Winners
Amazing job done by all who took the time and effort to spook up the Town.
PUBLIC WORKS NOTICE
Town fall leaf pick up will be November 18, 2019.
Leaves must be in recyclable brown paper bags available at most hardware stores. **PLEASE NOTE: THE TOWN OF COALHURST WILL SUPPLY, FREE OF CHARGE, 5 BROWN RECYCLABLE PAPER BAGS, PER PERSON, WHILE THEY LAST. BAGS CAN BE PICKED UP AT THE TOWN OFFICE.
Must be placed in the rear lane or in front if there is no rear lane BEFORE 8:00 AM on scheduled day.
Director of Operations
Town of Coalhurst
The Town of Coalhurst would like to remind residents that the Town’s reduced speed zones, of
30 km/h, are playground zones not school zones. Part 3 – Speed Limits – Section 3.2.2 of the Town of Coalhurst Traffic Bylaw No. 398-18 states: Pursuant to provisions of the Traffic Safety Act, R.S.A. 2000, C.T-6, the prescribed hours during which a playground zone is in effect in the Town is the period beginning at 7:30 a.m. and ending at 9:00 p.m. daily. This is every day, all year round.
As residents may have noticed, the Town has a speed radar sign that has been posted, for a duration of time, at different locations around Town. Data, such as speed, date and time, is collected from the speed radar sign and trends can then be determined. The information will then be submitted to the RCMP so they may become of aware of the problem areas in Town that need to be monitored and enforced.
For everyone’s safety, please be aware and abide by the speed limits throughout Town.