FORM 2 Notice of Nomination Day
Local Authorities Election Act
Local Jurisdiction: Town of Coalhurst, Province of Alberta.
Notice is hereby given that Nomination Day is Thursday, January 25, 2018 and that nominations for the election of candidates for the following offices will be received at the location of the local jurisdiction office set out below between the hours of 10:00 A.M. and 12:00 noon on Nomination Day. All candidates shall pay a deposit of One Hundred Dollars ($100.00) when filing their nomination paper. The deposit shall be paid in cash, by certified cheque or by money order. Nomination papers are available at the below specified location.
|Office(s):||Number of Vacancies|
Location (Address) of Local Jurisdiction Office:
100 – 51st Avenue
Town of Coalhurst
Dated at the Town of Coalhurst in the Province of Alberta, this 3rd day of January 2018.
Town of Coalhurst Nomination Packages for the office of Councillor (1) for the 2018 Municipal By-Election will be available at the Town Administration Building 100 – 51 Avenue on January 5, 2018. Packages may be picked up Monday to Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
In accordance with the Municipal Government Act, Council must hold a by-election to fill a vacancy on Council within ninety (90) days after the vacancy occurs. The by-election is held under the authority of the Local Authorities Election Act.
The term of office for the newly elected member of Council will be for the remainder of the original four (4) years, which is until the next general election in October 2021.
If you are interested in running you must complete and file the Application for Registration of Notice of Intent to Become a Candidate for Municipal Office with the Returning Officer before accepting any campaign contributions. The form that is required to be completed and filed with the Municipality before raising funds can be accessed here: Form 3A Application for Registration of Notice of Intent to Become a Candidate for Municipal Office. If candidates entirely self fund their campaign up to and including $10,000.00, they are not required to file a notice of intent to run, with the municipality.
Nominations will be accepted for one (1) Councillor position.
A person may be nominated as a candidate if, on Nomination Day, the person:
- Is eligible to vote in that election:
- Is at least 18 years old
- Is a Canadian Citizen
- Has resided in Alberta for the 6 consecutive months immediately preceding Nomination Day.
- Is a resident of the municipality for the 6 consecutive months immediately preceding Nomination Day
- Is not otherwise ineligible or disqualified.
A person is not eligible to run as a candidate if the person:
- is the auditor of the municipality,
- is an employee of the municipality, unless the person has taken a leave of absence,
- is indebted to the municipality for taxes in excess of $50,
- is indebted to the municipality for any other debt in excess of $500, and is in default for more than 90 days,
- has, within the previous 10 years, been convicted of an offence under the Local Authorities Election Act, the Election Act or the Canada Elections Act,
- is party to a subsisting contract with the municipality,
- has a pecuniary (money) interest in any subsisting contract with the municipality (NOTE: there are several qualifiers for this rule to give local businessmen an equal opportunity to continue doing business with the municipality and at the same time hold office).
Nomination Day for the 2018 By-Election will be Thursday, January 25, 2018 from 10:00 a.m. until 12:00 NOON, with nominations being accepted at the Town Office.
Nomination Packages will be available at the Town Office. The Nomination Form requires the signatures of at least five eligible electors and must be accepted in writing by the candidate. By signing the acceptance, the candidate swears that he/she is eligible to be elected and will accept the office if elected. A deposit of $100 is required. The deposit will be returned to the candidate if they receive the required number of votes.
If only one (1) nomination is received, the Returning Officer will declare the nominee elected by acclamation and no by-election will be required. If more than one (1) nomination is received, a candidate may withdraw his/her nomination paper until 12:00 NOON on the day following Nomination Day.
By-Election Day, if required, will be Thursday, February 22, 2018.